Miami, known for its stunning beaches and vibrant oceanic life, is a paradise for snorkeling enthusiasts. With crystal-clear waters and a diverse marine ecosystem, Miami offers numerous fantastic snorkeling spots for visitors to explore. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced snorkeler, there are plenty of locations to suit your skill level and provide you with an unforgettable underwater adventure. In this guide, we will dive into some of the top snorkeling spots in Miami, highlighting their unique features and the marine life you can expect to encounter. So grab your snorkel gear and get ready to discover the beauty beneath the waves in the best snorkeling in Miami!
10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami
Miami is a great destination for snorkeling, with a diverse range of habitats to explore. From reefs and wrecks to coral gardens and sea grass beds, there are plenty of spots that offer incredible views and teeming marine life. Whether you’re looking for an easy day trip or a more adventurous excursion, here are 10 of the best places to go snorkeling in Miami.
Biscayne National Park is located in southern Florida, adjacent to Miami. Spanning over 173,000 acres, this national park protects a diverse marine ecosystem, including mangrove forests, shallow bays, and vibrant coral reefs. The park offers a unique atmosphere where you can escape the hustle and bustle of the city and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature.
One of the park’s unique selling points (USP) is the Maritime Heritage Trail, which consists of six shipwrecks that have become artificial reefs over time. These shipwrecks provide a fascinating glimpse into Miami’s maritime history and serve as a haven for a wide variety of marine life, including colorful fish, sea turtles, and even manatees.
Biscayne National Park also offers snorkeling opportunities in shallow water areas, where you can encounter vibrant coral formations and an array of tropical fish species. The park’s clear waters and relatively calm conditions make it an ideal spot for both beginners and experienced snorkelers.
Address: 9700 SW 328th Street Sir Lancelot Jones Way Homestead, FL 33033
Best Known For:
- Biscayne National Park is best known for its diverse and vibrant underwater ecosystem.
- The park’s clear waters provide excellent visibility for snorkelers to explore its coral reefs and marine life.
- The Maritime Heritage Trail, featuring shipwrecks turned artificial reefs, is a unique attraction within the park.
Located approximately 70 miles west of Key West, Dry Tortugas National Park is one of the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami. It’s a remote and isolated area, with no restaurants, hotels, or gas stations nearby. The park consists of seven small islands, with the main attraction being Fort Jefferson, a 19th-century military fortress. The turquoise waters surrounding the park are teeming with marine life and offer some of the best snorkeling opportunities in the region.
The atmosphere at Dry Tortugas National Park is tranquil. The only way to get there is by boat or seaplane, which adds to the feeling of remoteness and seclusion. Visitors can explore the pristine beaches, wander through the historic fort, and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
The unique selling point (USP) of Dry Tortugas National Park is its spectacular coral reefs, which are home to a vast array of colorful fish, sea turtles, and other marine creatures. Snorkeling here is an unforgettable experience, with clear visibility and an abundance of underwater life.
Address: 40001 SR-9336 Homestead, FL 33034
Best Known For:
- The remote location and pristine natural beauty.
- Historic Fort Jefferson.
- The abundance of marine life and vibrant coral reefs.
- Peaceful and uncrowded snorkeling experience.
When it comes to the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami, West Palm Beach may not be the first location that comes to mind, but it certainly has its own unique charm and snorkeling opportunities. Located just a short drive from Miami, West Palm Beach offers a more relaxed and peaceful atmosphere, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
What makes West Palm Beach a standout location for snorkeling is its USP (unique selling point): the Gulf Stream. This warm current brings in an abundance of tropical fish and other marine life, making it a great place for snorkelers of all levels.
Some popular snorkeling spots in West Palm Beach include Peanut Island, which offers a variety of underwater structures to explore, and Phil Foster Park, which is home to an artificial reef teeming with colorful fish.
Address: 401 Clematis Street West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Best Known For:
- Snorkelers can explore nearby reefs teeming with colorful fish and other marine life.
- West Palm Beach is a popular destination for snorkelers of all levels, from beginners to experienced enthusiasts.
- West Palm Beach is best known for its beautiful sandy beaches and warm, tropical climate.
John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park offers a stunning location with an unmatched atmosphere. Located just an hour and a half south of Miami, the park is a popular destination for snorkelers seeking an exciting underwater adventure. The park is home to the only living coral reef in the continental United States, providing a unique opportunity to explore diverse marine life in crystal-clear waters.
The atmosphere at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is tranquil and relaxing, perfect for snorkelers looking to escape the hustle and bustle of Miami. The park is surrounded by lush vegetation and boasts serene beaches, providing a peaceful and calming environment for snorkelers to enjoy.
The USP (unique selling point) of John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is its vibrant and diverse marine life. With over 500 species of fish and dozens of different types of corals, snorkelers are sure to be mesmerized by the vibrant colors and fascinating underwater ecosystem.
Address: 102601 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037
Best Known For:
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is best known as the first undersea park in the United States.
- It is located in Key Largo, Florida, and covers approximately 70 nautical square miles.
- The park offers guided snorkeling tours and underwater trails for visitors to explore the underwater world with ease.
5. Devil’s Den Spring
Devil’s Den Spring is undoubtedly one of the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami. Located in Williston, it is a natural underground spring that creates a unique underwater world, unlike any other. The water is crystal clear, and the temperature stays around 72 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. It’s an ideal location for snorkeling enthusiasts who want to see exotic marine life in a tranquil environment.
The atmosphere of Devil’s Den Spring is calming and peaceful, providing snorkelers with a perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city. The crystal clear waters give way to impressive geological formations that have been around for thousands of years.
Devil’s Den Spring is known for its unique selling proposition, and its exceptional underground environment, which features limestone caves and other geological formations. These unique features provide snorkelers with a one-of-a-kind experience that’s not found in many other snorkeling spots around Miami. It’s a place where you can explore a natural underwater world filled with exotic fish and marine life, making it one of the Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami.
Address: 5390 NE 180th Ave, Williston, FL 32696
Best Known For:
- Devil’s Den Spring is best known for its unique underground natural wonder.
- Located in Williston, Florida, Devil’s Den is a prehistoric underground spring inside a cave.
- The spring’s crystal-clear waters and constant temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius) attract snorkelers and divers year-round.
- Snorkelers can descend into the cavern and witness the surreal sight of the underground spring and its stunning rock formations.
One of the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami is the Pompano Beach Drop Off location. This spot is known for its crystal-clear waters, colorful fish, and beautiful coral formations. It’s a popular destination for snorkelers looking to explore the underwater world.
The atmosphere at Pompano Beach is serene and peaceful, making it an ideal spot for both beginners and experienced snorkelers. The warm water and excellent visibility make it easy to spot a wide variety of marine life, including sea turtles, angelfish, and moray eels.
But what sets the Pompano Beach Drop Off location apart from other Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami is its unique selling point (USP). This spot boasts a steep underwater cliff that drops off to depths of 70 feet, giving snorkelers an unforgettable experience of diving down and looking up at the stunning coral formations.
Address: 101 N. Riverside Dr.Suite 111 Pompano Beach, FL 33062
Best Known For:
- Pompano Beach Drop Off is best known for its remarkable underwater topography and marine life.
- Located in Pompano Beach, Florida, it is a popular diving and snorkeling spot.
- The drop-off refers to a steep slope that starts close to the shore and descends into deeper waters.
- Snorkelers can explore the vibrant coral formations and encounter a variety of marine creatures along the drop-off.
One of the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami is the beautiful Peanut Island. This small island, located near the Port of Palm Beach, is only accessible by boat. But the trip is worth it, as Peanut Island offers some of the best snorkeling experiences in the area.
The atmosphere on Peanut Island is peaceful and serene, making it the perfect spot for snorkelers who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. The crystal-clear waters are home to a wide variety of marine life, including colorful tropical fish, sea turtles, and even the occasional manatee.
But what really sets Peanut Island apart from the other Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami is its unique USP or unique selling proposition. Here, snorkelers can explore the remains of President John F. Kennedy’s Cold War-era fallout shelter, which was built on the island in the early 1960s. The shelter has been preserved as a historic site, and visitors can take guided tours to learn more about this fascinating piece of history.
Address: 6500 Peanut Island Rd, West Palm Beach, FL 33404
Best Known For:
- Peanut Island is best known as a popular snorkeling destination in Riviera Beach, Florida.
- The island is located in the Intracoastal Waterway and offers a unique snorkeling experience.
- Snorkelers can explore the shallow waters surrounding the island, filled with marine life and vibrant coral formations.
8. Blue Heron Bridge Waterway
When it comes to the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami, the Blue Heron Bridge Waterway location is an absolute must-visit. This spot is well-known for its clear waters, which provide the perfect backdrop for some of the most beautiful marine life you will ever encounter. The atmosphere here is serene, with the sound of the water lapping against the shore creating a soothing ambiance that is hard to beat.
What sets Blue Heron Bridge Waterway apart from other snorkeling spots in Miami is its unique selling point (USP) – the sheer variety of marine life that you can encounter here. This includes everything from schools of brightly colored fish to stingrays, seahorses, and even octopuses! It’s like diving into an aquarium.
Address: Blue Heron Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33404, United States
Best Known For:
- Blue Heron Bridge Waterway is best known as a premier snorkeling and diving site in Riviera Beach, Florida.
- It is renowned for its diverse marine life and excellent visibility.
- The bridge itself serves as an artificial reef, attracting a wide variety of marine species.
9. Vista Park Reef
When it comes to the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami, Vista Park Reef is definitely a must-visit. Located in North Miami Beach, this hidden gem boasts crystal-clear waters, vibrant marine life, and an array of coral formations that will leave you in awe.
The atmosphere here is simply magical, as you can relax and soak up the sun on the sandy shores while enjoying the soothing sound of the waves crashing onto the reef. What sets Vista Park Reef apart from other Best Snorkeling in Miami is its unique underwater sculptures, which were specifically designed to promote the growth of coral and provide shelter for marine creatures.
As you venture into the water, you’ll be greeted by schools of colorful fish, graceful sea turtles, and even the occasional stingray. Whether you’re a seasoned snorkeler or a beginner, Vista Park Reef is the perfect spot for you.
Address: 1706 NE 19th Street Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305
Best Known For:
- Vista Park Reef is best known as a picturesque snorkeling spot located in Broward County, Florida.
- The reef is situated just off the coast of Fort Lauderdale, offering easy access to snorkelers.
- The park surrounding the reef provides amenities such as picnic areas and restrooms, adding convenience for visitors.
- Snorkelers can enjoy exploring the vibrant coral formations and observing a diverse range of marine life, including tropical fish and crustaceans.
10. Hollywood North Beach Park
One of the top contenders on our list of the 10 Best Snorkeling Spots in Miami is Hollywood North Beach Park. Located in Hollywood, Florida, this beach offers a unique atmosphere that sets it apart from other popular snorkeling spots. The park boasts a wide stretch of clean white sand beach and crystal clear waters, perfect for snorkeling and diving enthusiasts.
What makes Hollywood North Beach Park stand out from the rest is its underwater experience. The park features a large artificial reef, consisting of sunken ships, concrete structures, and even an old airplane fuselage. These underwater structures provide a unique habitat for various marine species, making it a haven for snorkelers and divers alike.
One of the biggest advantages of Hollywood North Beach Park is its accessibility. The park has plenty of parking spaces, showers, restrooms, and lifeguards on duty, ensuring that snorkelers have a safe and comfortable experience.
Address: 3601 N Ocean Dr, Hollywood, FL 33019
Best Known For:
- Hollywood North Beach Park is best known for its beautiful sandy beach and recreational activities.
- Hollywood North Beach Park is a family-friendly destination, attracting snorkelers of all ages.
- The park’s proximity to the Gulf Stream contributes to the abundance of marine species found in the area.
- Located in Hollywood, Florida, it offers a variety of amenities for beachgoers, including picnic areas, playgrounds, and nature trails.
Miami is a great destination for snorkeling. It offers some of the best spots for snorkeling in the US. There are plenty of shallow reefs, mangroves, and other attractions that make it a great spot for snorkeling. Whether you are an experienced diver or a beginner, there is something here for everyone.
What's Your Reaction?
Reed Berglund is a passionate advocate for wellness and an embodiment of the active lifestyle. As a former college athlete who played basketball for the UNLV Running Rebels, he's lived a life deeply immersed in body movement and sports. Reed's enthusiasm for staying active extends far beyond the basketball court. He's an avid surfer, wakeboarder, skier, basketball and tennis enthusiast, and an emerging padel player. His love for holistic well-being also includes a dedication to cold plunges and contrast therapy, embracing these practices to optimize recovery and vitality. In his role as the founder of Breathe, Reed brings his extensive experience in wellness and his unwavering commitment to helping individuals discover their path to a healthier, more mindful life. His personal journey and multifaceted fitness background inspire his vision for Breathe as a platform that empowers urban dwellers to explore, experience, and embrace well-being in all its forms. Reed's current focus lies in the realm of flexibility, a key component in his fitness journey to extend the longevity of his active lifestyle. Through Breathe, he aims to share his passion, knowledge, and insights with a vibrant community of wellness enthusiasts, experts, and storytellers, collectively working toward a healthier and happier world.